to your mother

THOUGHTS ABOUT BEING A MOTHER AND LOVING A MOTHER...FROM A MOTHER OF TWO.







Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving


November 23, 2016
at the Manor

Recently I was telling Dad about something that I wasn't looking forward to doing. I believe I said "We will just suffer through on Monday," and he replied "Maybe you should look at it as a challenge."

Wowza. The power of words. 

"Suffer through" has the connotation of negativity, that something horrible is happening, that I DON"T WANT TO DO IT.

"A challenge" can bring about feelings of positive energy, something I can accomplish and celebrate when complete, perhaps even create a feeling of hope.

The power of words.

I learned recently that our brains are wired to think negatively. Back in the day, if you were lollygagging around, picking flowers and singing a catchy tune, you could have been possibly eaten by a wildebeast if you weren't on guard. Our brains had to be hardwired to think about all the things that could go wrong in order to keep us safe. Therefore, today, we have to train our brains to think of the positive in order to get away from all that negative thinking.

Gratitude is one way to train our brains to be positive. A simple list, perhaps three things a day in which we are grateful, can help our brains think more positive thoughts. Goodness, think of how happy our brains could be if we thought of gratitude throughout the day?

That Dad. He has taught me a lot about the power of words...

In other news, Mike just asked me what I was doing. 
"Blogging."
"Is it about me?"
I didn't look up as I replied a short "No." and I kept right on typing as he walked out of the room.

You know what? Sometimes we need to stop what we are doing, right then and there, and say for what we are grateful...

This guy.


I appreciate you, Peter.

And I appreciate all of YOU. Happy Thanksgiving, People. We have a lot in which to be grateful, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment