to your mother

THOUGHTS ABOUT BEING A MOTHER AND LOVING A MOTHER...FROM A MOTHER OF TWO.







Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hostas

Reader Beware!  This gets kinda dirty.




The Becks are dear friends of our family.  Teresa, Keith and James live behind the house in which I grew up in Woodbine.  They moved in soon after I left for college, so my memories of them are from visits home over a holiday or long weekend.  I heard many stories about the Beck's dogs visiting Mom and Dad's back door to receive treats, James learning how to walk and promptly following the dogs to Mom and Dad's backdoor for a visit, Teresa calling Mom for a teaspoon of ginger or a can of evaporated milk.  Many visits and everyday items were passed between the two houses; Mom and Teresa were fast friends.

One of the items passed along were hosta plants.  Mom had many plants scattered around the house and would try to divide them each spring to keep them in check.  Teresa was fortunate enough one year to be the recipient of some of Mom's hostas, so I was not surprised this past spring when Teresa called asking "Do you want any of your Mom's hostas?"  Of course I would.

We have now filled our beds here in our neck of Woodbine with Mom's hostas.  That's something special to me...and the monkeys who helped me plant and water them.

Thanks Teresa, thanks Mom, for your giving hearts and thoughtful ways.


 making a worm home


 gently watering



wait for it, wait for it...



not-so-gentle-watering



No comments:

Post a Comment