to your mother

THOUGHTS ABOUT BEING A MOTHER AND LOVING A MOTHER...FROM A MOTHER OF TWO.







Friday, December 11, 2009

Conversation With Mom

The kids were occupied (who said that a little video now and then is so bad...I make sure to have a fruitful discussion afterwards, usually purporting upon plot, theme, setting and character development, but that conversation is for another post.) so I decided to give Mom a call. I have come to realize that it is okay to call Mom and tell her I'm having a low week. She used to send me crazy earrings when she knew I was feeling low, with a note attached saying "Wear these to make yourself (and others) smile!" Although Mom doesn't send me earring anymore (thank goodness), she still can lift my spirits with a laugh.

So, I call Mom. She said "Ellow?" after Dad gave her the phone. I explained that I have been feeling low and have not felt like calling. She replied "Ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh. Baby ohhhh ohhh. One one one one baby boy. I know." She always seems to make me laugh with the little "I know" (said quickly) she adds to the end of her thoughts. Well, I laughed and she laughed and I felt much better. I went on to tell her about my adventures raising two kiddos; and the visit we had with Uncle Paul and Second Cousin Katie, memories that we had shared during that visit about Mom's sister Katherine and general news from the family in the Roanoke area. Mom shed some tears, which is difficult for me over the phone and I'm sure difficult for Dad on his end, but I think it's good for Mom to share and express some feelings even if it makes life a little difficult for the rest of us.

Mom went on to play 20 questions with me so I could figure out some last minute items she wants me to pick up to finalize her holiday shopping. We plan to go up with the kids and Uncle Paul on Christmas Eve to spend the day at Mom and Dad's feasting (menu TBD), exchanging gifts, and celebrating another joyous year spent together, loving and supporting each other.

Hope your holidays are peaceful, healthy and filled with joy.

2 comments:

  1. Katie loved being with you & yours & seeing Paul too. It is great that all of you can share your Auntie K/Granny Katherine memories; she was such a special person to so many of us.

    Your Mom sent me a birthday card & I shed a few tears; she is a very special lady & you are following in her footsteps...:)
    xoxo
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good daughter! Awesome mother and a outstanding wife! I love you! You are the Best Friend any girl could have or want!!!!
    I'm thankful for you!

    YES GET THOSE PICTURES UP and get BLOGING!!!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete